Sunday, December 9, 2012

Santa Claus, Santa Claus, Must Have Been Old Santa Claus



I’m not sure when it happened…sometime before I was born…but it did happen.  Santa swooped in and stole the starring role of the Christmas season.  Yes, Jolly Old Saint Nicolas is a thief—at least the Saint Nicolas that I grew up with.  My wife and I have decided not to do “Santa Claus” with our children.  Our decision bewilders many adults, and so I thought it might be helpful to write down our reasons.  Our reasons fall into two categories.  The first is more pragmatic while the second is more theological.  Both of our reasons have the same root cause: Santa Claus is a lie.

There, I said it.  Maybe you thought it was an innocent fairytale.  But when it is cut black and white, it is a lie.  I realize that not everyone who reads this blog will share my worldview.  I trust that no one who reads this blog will believe that Santa is real.  So, when we tell our children that there is a jolly fat man who rides a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer, makes toys in the frozen north, and delivers those toys to every child around the world in one night we are distorting reality.  We are bending our children’s perspective in an unhealthy way.

I grew up with loving parents and (mostly) loving sisters.  They enjoyed keeping the “magic” alive for me.  So much so that it was (embarrassingly) not until the Christmas season of my fifth grade year that I figured it out.  I found it hard to believe that Santa could be real, but my family rallied to provide some pretty convincing proofs that I was unable to counter as a child.  What child gets a letter back from Santa?  Me.  What child gets Rudolph’s hoof print on a Christmas Eve letter with the cookies? Me.  (By the way, I asked for this evidence on the spot in my letter, not giving my family any warning before I trotted off to bed.)  I tell you all of this not to impugn my family (they only had the best of intentions) but to explain some worldview tension that I experienced under this lie even at this early age.

The first way that the Santa lie rears its ugly head is a practical one.  I do not wish to brag, but I must say that I was a very good youngster.  I also need to say that although my parents worked as hard as anyone, we weren’t the wealthiest family.  So it was not uncommon for peers of mine (who I knew were fairly rotten to the core!) to get exactly the toys that they wanted from Santa, while I didn’t.  And therein lies the rub.  According to every song, movie, and story regaling the lore of Santa, good boys and girls got what they wanted, and naughty boys and girls did not. How confusing this was to me! Of course, I quizzed my parents, and they gave me answers that pacified me on the surface.  But there was still an underlying current of tension.

The other, more sinister way that the Santa lie is dangerous is a principled one.  Santa steals the glory that is rightfully Christ’s glory.  Now, if you’ve never stopped to consider, this may actually catch you off guard.  Here is what we know about Santa.  1) He knows everything about us so he is able to determine if we’ve been good or bad.  2) He is able to be at all (or nearly all) places around the world at one time.  3) He is able to pop into any house regardless if there is a chimney there or not.  4) He rewards those who do good.  5) He “punishes” those who do bad.  6) He brings peace.  So, on my reckoning, Santa is (or nearly is) omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, good, just, and “Saves the World.”  Sound like anyone else you know?  Of course, I wasn’t pondering the similarities between God and fake Santa as a 5th grader, but something much more sinister occurred.  When I walked into my parents bedroom looking for something and discovered presents from Santa a full week before Christmas, my world was shaken.  I was in disbelief.  Confused, I stormed out to my parents and demanded an answer.  I got it.  (Sadly, I got it on the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy at the same time.)  So, here I was, an intelligent, but trusting, 5th grader with my worldview shattered.  Santa was not real.  Any guesses on whose existence I began to doubt next? Yes, God’s.

So, let me implore you…please don’t do Santa Claus with your children.  I realize that it may be too late for this year, but that gives you an entire year to think about how to do it next year.
Above, I said that I didn’t know when Santa stole Christmas.  I do know why and how.  I’ll bring that to you in my next blog and discuss how this information can help you repair the breach in the hull.

I leave you with the wisdom of Elvis…


Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus,
Right down Santa Claus lane
Vixen and Blitzen and all his reindeer
Pullin' on the reins
Bells are ringin', children singin'
All is merry and bright
Hang your stockings and say your prayers
 'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight!

Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus,
Right down Santa Claus lane
He's got a bag that's filled with toys
For boys and girls again
Hear those sleigh bells jingle jangle,
Oh what a beautiful sight
So jump in bed and cover your head
 'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight!

Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus,
Right down Santa Claus lane
He doesn't care if you're rich or poor

He loves you just the same

Santa Claus knows we're all God’s children

That makes everything right

So fill your hearts with Christmas cheer
 'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight!

Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus,
Right down Santa Claus lane
He'll come around when the chimes ring out
That it's Christmas morn again
Peace on earth will come to all
If we just follow the light
So let’s give thanks to the lord above
That Santa Claus comes tonight!

1 comment:

Eric said...

Good thoughts Michael. I had never thought about the feeling of seeing kids who acted awful get what they wanted when you didn't. I dont remember any specific instance of this as a kid (i think i was usually bad enough that I was happy to get anything!) We have decided to not do Santa for the theological reasons but now I have more.